- Players can select which weapon they wish to use as their primary weapon for basic attacks.
- Different weapon types have different basic attacks.
- Sequences of basic attacks trigger the combat animation montage based on the weapon type.
- The developers are considering per-use consumables/buffs that apply certain rider effects to basic weapon attacks.
Weapon use combo system
- The combo system consists of a sequence of combat animations based on the weapon type, referred to as a combat animation montage.
- Let's say for example you're using a two-handed warhammer or something and you have a number of weapon combos that play animation style based on how many combos deep you go into an attack with that warhammer. So the first is going to be like a forward swing. Second is going to be a back swing. The third is going to be swing down and the fourth is going to be some twirl that you do; and that's what we call the combo animation montage. – Steven Sharif
- This system plays heavily into the weapon skill trees, which are planned for Alpha-2 and beyond.
- The way that the weapon skill tree works is that at different stages of that combat montage you have available procs that can occur. The first swing might be a small stagger that decreases your opponent's accuracy by 15, that could be a proc that you could that you could spec into that decrease in accuracy- might be a status condition called stagger or bewildered or whatever- and that might exist for three or four seconds. Your second option from a skill tree perspective might be on the swing back. You have some type of tapering slow effect that lasts over three seconds- some type of tapering snare; and then the third step strike down might be some potential one second stun status modifier; and each of these you can spec into additional points to increase the chance that these proc. – Steven Sharif
- Depending on what your class skill choice has been those are going to have synergy effects with the weapon skill tree. So my skill called spin-to-win might do 30 additional damage on a staggered target. So I see when my proc occurs with the stagger effect on my first swing, like for me as a player I might be only interested in landing that first swing, so every now and then I'm gonna swing once and then I'm gonna use a skill and then I'm gonna come back and swing again because that'll play my first swing montage, because it's been interrupted. So I won't move to the second one because I'm really just wanna hit that stagger effect. So that's going to be how my rotation lines up. However I might have some skill that on a stun target it might be an immediate cast and it's like some power you push or power hit; and that does- it knocks back a stun target. So if the target's stunned when this skill plays, it has an added effect of knock down and now they're gonna get knocked down for an additional two seconds. Now I might spec into that and as a result I want to finish through: swing, swing, and then knock down. So I get my chance at stunning that target with that weapon skill. – Steven Sharif
- Weapon progression such as set bonuses may change at what level any proc effects occur and therefore enable different combo rotations.
- You may have items or set bonuses that change at what level those proc occurs. So I may have a full set of battle armor that changes all third hit combo procs to second hit requirements and now I have a chance not only on my second hit to land that tapering slow but I also have a chance to land my one second stun proc because I have the full set that changes my weapon progression. So that's the way itemization works with your weapon skill tree, is you can enhance when those weapon skill trees become available in your combat montage and that can be a relevant factor in how your skill rotations come to play; and mixes with your weapon attacks.
- Weapon skill choices and rotations will vary based on whether the player is more focused on Pvp or PvE.
- Right now some people might just say, "I don't care at all about my weapon attacks. I'm not going to invest a lot of points into that. And if I do, it's going to be primarily PvE focused where I'm more comfortable using just swinging my weapon, and I may not use them as much in PvP. I'm just going to be focused on skill rotations." That's okay, but the reason for those skill montages- back to your question- is they have a very relevant role in when certain procs come online from a weapons skill tree perspective. – Steven Sharif
- Using a skill/ability other than a basic attack will in general reset the combo.
- The developers are considering specific abilities might be able to be used without resetting the combo system.
It acts similar in the sense of the core loop of what an auto attack is so to speak; where typically your other skills have a cooldown period, they have a rotation or whatever: Our combo system is a repeatable skill effect that you can continually attack with but it's a little bit more involved than what a traditional auto attack is; and it has components from a from an advancement standpoint when it comes to the types of procs that your weapon can have during that combo system... It's not going to have the quick time event that you guys saw early on in PAX and gave great feedback on, but it is going to have development with regards to the power of the weapon the type of weapon you're using, the additional proc effects that you can skill into: Those types of things are going to make it a little bit more complex of a system capture. – Steven Sharif
Weapon skills grant passive skills and proc effects and other status conditions rather than usable skills on a player's action bar. The more skill points that are allocated to the weapon tree, the greater a player's weapon familiarity. This influences things like the number of attacks, attack speed, and increased chances of proc effects from carrying out basic attacks with that weapon. These procs may offer synergy with the player's active skills. This synergy also applies to active skills from other characters.
- The weapon use combo system determines special effects that proc based on weapon progression.
- Our approach is not going to be providing skills through weapons. It's going to be providing skills through classes. – Steven Sharif
- Players can spec into weapon skills on their weapon skill tree (also referred to as Combat skills, and Combat tree) based on their preferred weapon types and the grade of the weapon.
- Let's say a dagger has some slashing effects that bleed the target or that cripple the target... Every time you attack you have a chance to proc that effect. That effect then can synergize with what your active skills tree has available to it. So let's say your backstab deals 30 additional damage to a bleeding target. If you attack with your main weapon first and the target gets the bleed proc off and you do your backstab skill then you're synergizing your effects. – Steven Sharif
- Let's say backstab that you can apply to deals damage to the target and it'll have a conditional modifier on that damage if you're behind the target, and it'll have a conditional modifier deal additional 50 damage if the target is under a bleed effect. So you want to synergize essentially your weapon proc conditions with your active skills so that you're timing your certain active skills appropriately with the status conditions that the target has taken. – Steven Sharif
- Weapon progression such as set bonuses may change at what level any proc effects occur.
- These procs may reduce or reset cooldowns on other skills on the player's hotbar.
Hybrid combat refers to the choice between tab and action combat in Ashes of Creation. A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab combat modes.
- The action mode camera is tied to the to the player's reticle.
- Targeted skills require either a soft or hard locked target.
- Soft locking is when the reticle moves over a valid target while in action mode. The targeting plate will appear slightly grayed out to indicate that this is a soft-lock target. If the reticle moves away from the target or the target moves away from the reticle, the target is lost..
- Hard locking is when the player uses right-mouse on a soft-locked target in action mode, or when the player selects a valid target in tab mode. The targeting plate will not be grayed-out to indicate that a hard-lock target is selected. Unlike soft locking, if the target moves out of the reticle, the target is not lost. Tab will still cycle between hard-locked targets in action mode based on proximity priority.
- Templated skills allow "blind firing" without a target while in action mode. If a player moves into the path of the attack they can be struck.
Q: What the benefits are for tab versus action. I feel like a lot of people feel like tab is just easier so why would I use action?
A: If you're in a massive brawl, the ability to pick and choose targets that are far in the back line that might might be more advantageous towards tab target users because they're able to click, but the reaction time to acquire a target for a cursor versus acquiring a target for a reticle is much faster and less cumbersome because it doesn't require as many actions on behalf of the user. – Steven Sharif
- Skill progressions, skill point allocation is determined by the player. The player will be able to choose either more tab-target oriented skills or more action-based skills and customize their playable experience to what accommodates their preference. From a balancing standpoint for us developers, we need to make sure that certain abilities house certain functions so that there's a balance between skill shots and tab-target abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Targeted skills will be greyed out if the target is not within a valid range but templated skills will generally require the player to assess the correct range for the skill.
- Different ranks of the same skill can change the skill from tab to action or vice-versa.
- Variables will change based on which version of a skill is chosen.
- It may not be possible to be able to fully spec into just action or tab targeted skills. There might be a 75% cap on choosing skills from any one type.
- For the purposes of balance, certain skill types will be either tab or action oriented skills.
- As an example: Let's say you're playing a ranged class. You could have an action-oriented power shot in your skill tree or you could have a single target power shot that ramps up and does more damage. – Steven Sharif
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (47:57).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (49:16).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (40:50).
- Colloquio, 2018-05-11 (16:32).
- Video, 2022-09-30 (19:32).
- Video, 2022-09-30 (10:44).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-02-28 (1:10:21).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (46:17).
- Twitter - Take a look at our new basic weapon attack combos!
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-01-30 (1:28:40).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-01-18 (22:46).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (43:45).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-09-24 (1:19:17).
- Twitter - What’s your go-to weapon?
- Video, 2022-09-30 (24:49).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-10-14 (18:34).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-06-30 (1:12:38).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (53:15).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (49:18).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-18 (1:07:51).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-06-04 (1:11:19).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-29 (55:44).
- Video, 2022-09-30 (17:03).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (41:06).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-08-27 (1:16:04).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-06-25 (22:34).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-11-16 (30:45).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-06-25 (27:43).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-08-28 (1:15:39).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-04-30 (1:09:51).
- Video, 2022-09-30 (17:00).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-03-26 (59:21).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-06-25 (26:11).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (52:33).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (48:10).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (54:35).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-04-8 (PM) (37:57).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:07:59).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2023-01-27 (1:11:07).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-08-28 (1:12:50).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:11:05).