- Crafting requires the acquisition of recipes in order to craft items.
- Crafting stations are located on freeholds or within nodes.
- There will be gear that boosts artisans in gathering or crafting stronger items.
- Crafting times may vary between professions but the bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch.
There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Crafting professions
- 2 Artisan mastery
- 3 Recipes
- 4 Race or class locked crafting
- 5 Crafting mechanics
- 6 Crafting materials
- 7 Crafted items
- 8 Artisan supply chain
- 9 Upgrading items
- 10 Repairing items
- 11 Escrow system
- 12 Caravan components
- 13 Ship building
- 14 Backpacks
- 15 Timeline
- 16 Artwork
- 17 Community guides
- 18 See also
- 19 Riferimenti
- Armor smithing
- Jewel crafting
- Ship building
- Siege weapons
- Weapon smithing
Le Classi artigiane non permetteranno ad un character di diventare un maestro in tutto. I giocatori dovranno scegliere una strada nell'albero abilità degli artigiani per ogni personaggio. Andare in vie specifiche darà ai giocatori l'opportunità di specializzarsi in certe aree. Questo incoraggia inter-dependency tra giocatori, migliorando l'esperienza dell'artigiano.
- La scelta di profession non influenza le stats del giocatore.
- I personaggi all'interno di un singolo account (Alts) potranno avere professioni differenti.
- Recipes that are obtained must be committed to a player's recipe book prior to that recipe being able to be used for crafting. This "consumes" the recipe.
- Recipes can be traded or sold prior to them being committed into a player's recipe book.
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used customize crafted items, such as:
- Crafting does not have mixing and matching (of arbitrary materials) in the manner of animal husbandry.
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
There are many different ways to achieve recipes. We want to take crafting and house the location of those recipes throughout different progression paths, so that not everything is pigeon-holed into one way forward. – Steven Sharif
- Drops from monsters.
- Completing quest lines.
- Becoming Mayor may unlock specific node-related recipes.
- Progressione within a social organization, such as the Thieves' guild or Scholar's academy.
- Killing a legendary boss.
- Gaining a title.
- By constructing certain buildings on a freehold.
- Based on status within a religious organization/church.
- Deconstructing/dissassembling rare item drops from bosses can yield recipes that can be used to replicate that item.
- There may be a royalty system where players can license recipes to other players for a certain amount of time and collect royalties.
We talked about having this idea where if somebody discovers a recipe they get exclusive access to that recipe for a given amount of time similar to a patent; and then they can license that recipe out to other crafters so they can use the recipe and eventually that timer runs out and then everybody can use it, but we wanted to reward people for experimentation and going out in the world and finding something new. – Steven Sharif
Race or class locked crafting
- There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent the quality of the items being crafted.
- Q: Can crafting stations be mobilized / moved and can they be placed anywhere in the world?
- A: It depends on the crafting station. There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent you know the quality of item you're looking to create within that specific profession. There's going to be crafting stations that can be utilized by players within their freeholds and then crafting stations that are resigned only to the development of particular nodes, within particular areas, or particular buildings... There's a wide variety of those things to kind of make it a more dynamic experience and and kind of something that caveat how players decide to build the world and what the value of those things are. – Steven Sharif
We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - you know for lack of a better term - mini-game to be something that becomes repetitive and kind of makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
Jeff in particular has a soft spot in his heart for the crafting system of Star Wars Galaxies; so without getting into too much detail I will say that it's likely that you will see some inspiration surface itself in that regard. – Steven Sharif
Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
- Highest tier items will be a combo of both crafted and boss dropped.
- Crafters will be able to assign different skills/abilities and stats on gear.
- The rarity of the items will be commensurate with the effort required to gather, process and craft the items.
That plays into our crafting system in and of itself right. The idea is for those stats to be variables that can be kind of dictated based on the mastery level of the particular crafter; and the higher they become a master of those professions, whether it be for armor or for weapons or for accessories, they're going to have some agency and put their mark on essentially what items they're introducing into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- At the moment, harnessing corruption to warp items into demonic or decayed things is not on the cards.
- A crafter's name is embedded in the items they craft.
We believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.
Crafting and World Bosses will be the main way to obtain high-level gear. There are some exceptions to this in the form of Legendary items (single server drops or discoveries), and other equipment that may drop wholesale, but we want Artisans and top tier raiding to produce the lion’s share of high level, high effectiveness equipment. – Sarah Flanagan
Skills and stats on gear
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.
- All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.
Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.
Item creation suite
- Relics include the four ancient artifacts of Verra that were originally discovered by King Atrax in his pursuit of the power of The Essence. These artifacts were in close alignment to The Essence on Verra due to their proximity to the ley lines of Essence spread across the world. These artifacts were originally housed in the vault of Fallow's Hold, which is one of the great dungeons of Ceneri della creazione, located near the capital city of the ancient Toren empire, Torall.
- The Golden Chalice was believed to bring everlasting life but was actually allowing the corruption of manipulating The Essence to enter the soul through the physical representation of drinking something.
- The Crown represented a direct link The Ancients had into the thought process of King Atrax that the Ancients were able to manipulate.
- The Sword brought unusual power through manipulation of the evil side of the Essence, which is how Atrax maintained his dominance over his people: through physical might, essentially striking down any foe that opposed him among his administration.
- The Staff enabled Atrax to project his magic across great distances, which enabled him to extend his power and manipulation throughout the lands of Verra and allowed him to maintain vigilance over his realm.
- Relics are placed in a node's reliquary.
- Limited access to the relics stored in a node's reliquary are granted to registered attackers after successfully destroying that node in a node siege.
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ceneri della creazione must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Elaborazione profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherable resources are discovered by trial-and-error and by learning their visuals.
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Gathering within a node's Zona di influenza (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example you know if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be kind of a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Blueprints are required for the construction of the feehold buildings that are used to process resources.
That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses. Vertical enchantments include risks. 
When it comes to over-enchanting things, what we're going to do likely is have a safety- and this is something obviously it needs to be tested- but we're going to have a safety period of enchantment you know like in Lineage 2 I think you could enchant plus four or something. And so we're gonna have a similar system where you can enchant safely and then when you start to take risks, that percentage of potentially damaging your item either through the decay system or completely disabling it through the destruction system will be a risk that's present. – Steven Sharif
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- You don't really push a particular item's level requirement or the identity of that item. You can enhance it, you can add enchantments to it, but it's still the item it is. – Steven Sharif
- 0% durability will unequip items, increasing its repair cost.
- Damaged gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.
- There may be additional constraints for repairing "very unique items", such as having a crafter and recipe to effectuate repairs. This is subject to testing.
- There is no limit to the number of times an item can be repaired.
For example: if you have an iron sword and then the sword gets damaged from use, you have to use more iron to repair it; and what that does is... make sure that there's significant sinks in the game for base materials so that you are creating a scarcity and demand that's present on the creation of higher goods as well as supplying the necessary decay components for the world. – Steven Sharif
There's a lot of ancillary activities that can be had during sieges... It's obviously strategy and tactics and you know raid-versus-raid components, but also you want to have individual contributions where players can do things during the siege to aid in the greater effort so to speak; and it doesn't require you having 50 people by your side to effectuate that influence over something. So repairs are great ways to do that. Repairs for walls, repairs for gates, being able to spawn and essentially craft the designs for specific types of siege weapons to provide those to the team. – Steven Sharif
We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
- Armor rating (damage mitigation).
- Hit points.
- Number of hired NPC guards.
- Monta bred through the Animal husbandry profession can be applied as certificates toward the construction of caravans.
Ship building is a crafting profession that is able to construct ship components based on blueprints that unlock capabilities that scale with their progression within the ship building profession.
- Movement, Durability, Speed, Turn rate, Hit points, Defensive and Damage abilities.
- Weapon slots.
- Aesthetic customization.
- Ship components can be sold to other players.
You can have the base value of a hull. That hull might have certain placements that are available when it comes to utility slots and/or weapon slots for the ship. Essentially you are going to have that hull itself be augmented by constructibles via the ship building profession. – Steven Sharif
- Ships may only be crafted or upgraded in harbor crafting stations that are unlocked by the advancement of coastal nodes.
You will not need to be a ship builder profession to construct ships. The shipbuilder profession particularly they have the ability to craft components of the ships which increases the ship's capabilities, defenses, speeds, turn rate, offense and defense, you know all those types of things and then they can sell those to other players. – Steven Sharif
- The higher level the backpack, the greater the inventory space.
- Different backpack types cater to different activities.
In order to roleplay you need to be able to represent kind of what your character is doing in that world and you know part of what animation is doing is creating these sockets on the let's say the belt or the backpack that you know can plug in certain types of props or items that are created by the character team. – Steven Sharif
In Alpha One the core basics of what crafting represents as a gameplay loop that is represented. So that means that there are gatherables out there. You will have to have tools in order to service those gatherables. There will be processing that's necessary; and then there's crafting stations that are available and can be constructed by the players. This is in Alpha One. You have to collect the recipes, you have to collect the materials, and you have to refine the materials; and then you have to create the reagents and then use those to kind of create the final crafting component of that you're trying to create. So that in and of itself is present, but it is a very very small piece of really what will be the larger crafting puzzle for Alpha 2 and betas. – Steven Sharif
- Approximately 10 percent of the artisan system will be online in Alpha-1. The core basics of the artisan gameplay loop will be facilitated via the merchant (NPC) system.
Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated kind of piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 2018-08-17 (15:14).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Interview, 2020-03-27 (9:00).
- Livestream, 2020-01-30 (1:38:26).
- Livestream, 2017-05-12 (1:00:18).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (6:38).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:06:50).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (40:20).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (17:08).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:31:39).
- Video, 2017-04-30 (10:07).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (32:07).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (6:12).
- Livestream, 2017-07-18 (37:25).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (20:41).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (37:26).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (5:25).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (8:22).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (38:15).
- Livestream, 2018-06-04 (35:11).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (28:38).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (26:00).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (22:36).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (45:41).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (27:20).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (17:31).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Livestream, 2017-05-08 (54:26).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (14:45).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (1:05:22).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (59:58).
- Livestream, 2020-12-22 (1:15:01).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (24:19).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (1:14:54).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (24:20).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (52:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (56:11).
- Livestream, 2018-02-09 (29:26).
- Livestream, 2020-11-08 (15:-1).
- Livestream, 2020-11-08 (00:49).
- Livestream, 2020-11-08 (07:58).
- Interview, 2020-07-20 (20:17).
- Livestream, 2017-05-08 (20:41).
- Livestream, 2017-07-18 (38:30).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (24:18).
- Livestream, 2020-03-28 (48:31).
- Livestream, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (38:25).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (1:00:07).
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (15:04).
- Livestream, 2017-05-17 (58:55).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:15:57).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (13:14).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (51:11).
- Podcast, 13 May 2017 (25:55).
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (16:46).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:53:04).
- Livestream, 2020-09-30 (1:01:45).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:04:29).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (32:22).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (20:56).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (46:36).
- Livestream, 2017-05-22 (40:41).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (43:19).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (1:59:09).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (48:05).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (50:45).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (23:30).
- Livestream, 2018-07-09 (30:35).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (36:29).
- Livestream, 2019-05-30 (1:09:17).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Livestream, 2021-04-30 (41:18).