- Crafting requires the acquisition of recipes in order to craft items.
- Crafting stations are located on freeholds or within nodes.
- Artisan gear will enable crafting of stronger items.
- Crafting times may vary between professions but the bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch.
- It's unlikely that crafting materials to craft all pieces of equipment will be able to be sourced solely by farming open-world dungeons.
- It's unlikely that organized parties will be able to get all of the materials they need to craft every piece of equipment from farming open world dungeons alone. – Cody Peterson
- Anything that you want to bring into existence in the world is going to be built by players: Whether that is Navi, Siege engines, Armi, Armatura, etc. – Jeffrey Bard
There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Crafting professions
- 2 Crafting mechanics
- 3 Crafted items
- 4 Artisan mastery
- 5 Race or class locked crafting
- 6 Artisan gear
- 7 Artisan supply chain
- 8 Upgrading items
- 9 Repairing items
- 10 Escrow system
- 11 Caravan components
- 12 Ship building
- 13 Timeline
- 14 Artwork
- 15 Community guides
- 16 See also
- 17 Riferimenti
- Armor smithing
- Caravan building
- Jewel crafting
- Ship building
- Siege weapons
- Weapon smithing
- We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - you know for lack of a better term - mini-game to be something that becomes repetitive and kind of makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Without getting into too much detail I will say that it's likely that you will see some inspiration surface itself in that regard. – Steven Sharif
- Crafting stations relate to specific nodes, areas, or buildings.
- Different tiers of crafting stations represent the quality of the items that can be crafted.
- Crafting stations can pull inventory from a player's personal storage and warehouse storage from the node that the crafting station is in.
- Q: Can crafting stations be mobilized / moved and can they be placed anywhere in the world?
- A: It depends on the crafting station. There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent the quality of item you're looking to create within that specific profession. There's going to be crafting stations that can be utilized by players within their freeholds and then crafting stations that are resigned only to the development of particular nodes, within particular areas, or particular buildings... There's a wide variety of those things to make it a more dynamic experience and something that caveat how players decide to build the world and what the value of those things are. – Steven Sharif
- Recipes that are obtained must be committed to a player's recipe book prior to that recipe being able to be used for crafting. This "consumes" the recipe.
- Recipes can be traded or sold prior to them being committed into a player's recipe book.
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used to customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
The ability for players to create original recipes will not be present in the game at launch, but may be included at some point in the future.
- Crafting does not have mixing and matching (of arbitrary materials) in the manner of animal husbandry.
There are many different ways to achieve recipes. We want to take crafting and house the location of those recipes throughout different progression paths, so that not everything is pigeon-holed into one way forward. – Steven Sharif
- Drops from monsters.
- Completing quest lines.
- Through treasure hunting.
- Through repetition of specific activities.
- Becoming Mayor may unlock specific node-related recipes.
- Progressione within a social organization, such as the Thieves' guild or Scholar's academy.
- Killing a legendary boss.
- Gaining a title.
- By constructing certain buildings on a freehold.
- Based on status within a religious organization/church.
- Deconstructing/disassembling rare item drops from bosses can yield recipes that can be used to replicate that item.
- Trading/buying from other players.
We're definitely going to have rare recipes. We're going to have a very active recipe market that how players find them and how they discover them is going to be very diverse. It's not just going to be drop oriented. It's going to be discovery, adventurism, treasures, repetition of a particular activity that might yield something, deconstruction that might learn how to create a recipe. There's a lot of different functionality that's present that's going to be utilized. – Steven Sharif
A royalty system where players can license recipes to other players for a certain amount of time and collect royalties was discussed as a possibility.
Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
- Crafted gear in the game is the best gear... One thing that I'm not a fan of is that you develop a crafting system in a game and you've spent a lot of time making this from a material and resource perspective. All the tables that you can receive, all the connectivity in the economy and how crafting is associated with the game; and then you undermine the crafting entirely by presenting a separate route of gear acquisition that is on-par with the crafting efforts. So here you have these people who are acquiring all of the resources getting, all the recipes, leveling up their professions and then everything they make is less or equal to anything you could just have chosen the easier path of and gone down the questing and received the best gear. So what we do focus on is that crafters make the best shit. Excuse me, the best things. – Steven Sharif
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- The rarity of the items will be commensurate with the effort required to gather, process and craft the items.
- That plays into our crafting system in and of itself. The idea is for those stats to be variables that can be kind of dictated based on the mastery level of the particular crafter; and the higher they become a master of those professions, whether it be for armor or for weapons or for accessories, they're going to have some agency and put their mark on essentially what items they're introducing into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- At the moment, harnessing corruption to warp items into demonic or decayed things is not on the cards.
- A crafter's name is embedded in the items they craft.
- We believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.
Skills and stats on gear
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.
- All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.
Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.
Item creation suite
I giocatori dovranno scegliere, per ogni personaggio, una carriera nell'albero delle abilità dell'artigianato. All'interno di ognuna delle tre classi madri (Raccolta, Elaborazione e Crafting) sono presenti diverse professioni. Un personaggio può arrivare ad un livello di maestria in soltanto una di queste tre classi principali.
- È possibile padroneggiare più professioni (non tutte) all'interno di una singola classe madre, ma sarà un'impresa lunga che necessiterà molte risorse.
L'estrazione è una classe madre dell'artigianato, come la lavorazione e la produzione. All'interno di ognuna sono presenti diverse professioni. Potrai padroneggiare soltanto una di queste classi madre; ma potrai utilizzare il tuo tempo per padroneggiare ogni singola professione all'interno della classe. – Steven Sharif
Diventare un Produttore professionista, o un Lavoratore o un Estrattore dovrebbe essere un significativo investimento di tempo e risorse; per questo motivo dovrebbe anche essere qualcosa che una volta raggiunto è come se le persone nel server sappiano chi sei. – Steven Sharif
La progressione dell'artigianato all'intero dell'albero delle abilità avviene basandosi sull'esperienza (ripetizione di incarichi) e sul raggiungimento di determinati obiettivi all'interno di una specialità.
- I giocatori possono dedicarsi a qualsiasi professione come novizi prima di deciderne una specifica.
- Scegliere un percorso specifico all'interno dell'albero delle abilità permette al giocatore di specializzarsi in determinate aree. Questo incoraggia l'interazione tra giocatori, arricchendo l'esperienza nell'artigianato.
- Il raggiungere un livello di maestria non riguarda soltanto la creazione di oggetti; garantisce molti privilegi, tra cui titoli, accesso ad oggetti, sconti, e missioni. 
I giocatori avranno l'opportunità di dilettarsi in qualsiasi professione ad un livello principiante e questo gli darà la possibilità di capire cosa riguarda una determinata professione e di poi scegliere che direzione vogliono prendere per padroneggiarne una in particolare. – Steven Sharif
Quando ci riferiamo al non essere esperto di tutto non significa che non sarai professionista nella tua delle tre classi di artigianato, che sono, come sapete, produzione, lavorazione ed estrazione. Sarai professionista di una di queste, ma non delle altre due. – Steven Sharif
Race or class locked crafting
- Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an "undergarment" slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
- The developers are planning to have artisan gear sets available for Alpha-2.
- Gear for artisans are going to live alongside your adventuring gear. So you will currently- the approaches, and we'll test this but currently- the approach is you'll have artisanship oriented gear. This might be beneficial for your gathering; it might be beneficial for your processing, or crafting, or whatever it is- your profession. Essentially you will craft that gear, you will equip that gear, it'll live almost as a undergarment slot so to speak; and then you can activate that and it will show the appearance if you wish during the activation when you gain the benefit from the from the gear itself; and then could disappear afterwards and go back to your adventuring gear. That's the current approach. We're going to play with that a little bit. There's some discussion and disagreement on the team about how we do that, but our hopes are for Alpha two, we will have I think a couple of sets at least. We're demonstrating all of the artisanship from gathering to processing to crafting in limited fashion in Alpha 2 want to have that gear present to kind of play with this approach.
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ceneri della creazione must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Elaborazione profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherable resources are discovered by trial-and-error and by learning their visuals. There will not be "sparklies" on gatherable resources in the final game.
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Gathering within a node's Zona di influenza (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example you know if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be kind of a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Some processing can be carried out in nodes, but the best processing can only be carried out on freeholds.
- Blueprints are required for the construction of the freehold buildings that are used to process resources into processed goods.
- The amount of goods that can be processed while unattended by the player is based on the rating of that particular processing station.
- The time spent processing can be reduced by upgrading the capabilities and quality of the processing station via a progression tier system.
- That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- There will be a preparatory phase to provide the building with needed fuel or other materials to process the required grade of materials.
- Processing as it stands for Alpha-2's implementation is that there is a certain amount of prep work that's required first for the industry-specific component, which is the building. That prep work might be finding a certain amount of lumber to light the fire in kiln or whatever, to a certain temperature in order for you to process a certain grade of ore; and that grade of ore being malleable then into an ingot; and that produces that ingot so-to-speak. Now, in that process there's a gathering component, there's a preparatory phase, there is a time-related component. – Steven Sharif
- There will also be time-related and gameplay elements that require the player to interact with the processing building. These elements act to throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy.
- There's also possibilities that the machine you're using itself has some type of gameplay layer- should the kiln get overheated, and you have to throw some water on it or something. There are elements there in that process that we want to mimic this gameplay opportunity for players to interact; and not just be a time-sink. But time-sink is also a component of it as well, because that's the throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- You don't really push a particular item's level requirement or the identity of that item. You can enhance it, you can add enchantments to it, but it's still the item it is. – Steven Sharif
- 0% durability will unequip items, increasing its repair cost.
- Damaged gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.
- There may be additional constraints for repairing "very unique items", such as having a crafter and recipe to effectuate repairs. This is subject to testing.
- There is no limit to the number of times an item can be repaired.
- There's a lot of ancillary activities that can be had during sieges... It's obviously strategy and tactics and you know raid-versus-raid components, but also you want to have individual contributions where players can do things during the siege to aid in the greater effort so to speak; and it doesn't require you having 50 people by your side to effectuate that influence over something. So repairs are great ways to do that. Repairs for walls, repairs for gates, being able to spawn and essentially craft the designs for specific types of siege weapons to provide those to the team. – Steven Sharif
- We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
- Cavalcature bred through the animal husbandry profession.
- NPC guards.
- Armor rating (damage mitigation).
- Hit points (health).
- Movement speed.
- Turning radius.
- Turning speed.
Ship building is a crafting profession that is able to construct ship components based on blueprints that unlock capabilities that scale with their progression within the ship building profession.
- You can have the base value of a hull. That hull might have certain placements that are available when it comes to utility slots and/or weapon slots for the ship. Essentially you are going to have that hull itself be augmented by constructibles via the ship building profession. – Steven Sharif
- Movement, Durability, Speed, Turn rate, Hit points, Defensive and Damage abilities.
- Weapon slots.
- There are absolutely attachments that can apply to the ship and some of those are decorative in nature. There are also slots that have utility aspects to them as well but are also decorative. – Steven Sharif
- Ships will likely not have closed spaces or internal compartments such as Captain's quarters.
- We are trying to stay away from internal compartments within the ships because that presents a whole different type of user interface and flow that can be a bit cumbersome and problematic, especially in combat and in closed spaces. So we're trying to stay away from that under deck aspect and keep things all on deck for better readability on the player side. – Steven Sharif
- Ship components can be sold to other players.
- You will not need to be a ship builder profession to construct ships. The shipbuilder profession particularly they have the ability to craft components of the ships which increases the ship's capabilities, defenses, speeds, turn rate, offense and defense, you know all those types of things and then they can sell those to other players. – Steven Sharif
- Ships may only be crafted or upgraded in harbor crafting stations that are unlocked by the advancement of coastal nodes.
- Players can choose which "joints" get populated with either offensive (weaponry), defensive, or utility attachments they want on their ship prior to construction completion.
- Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated kind of piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-08-17 (15:14).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Colloquio, 2020-03-27 (9:00).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-01-30 (1:38:26).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-12 (1:00:18).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-19 (6:38).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-06-30 (1:17:34).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-03-26 (1:06:50).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (40:20).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-24 (17:08).
- Colloquio, 2018-10-20 (2:31:39).
- Video, 2017-04-30 (10:07).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (45:41).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (27:20).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (6:12).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (4:43).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-07-29 (1:17:33).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (20:41).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-01-28 (1:19:48).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (37:26).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-26 (5:25).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (8:22).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-06-04 (35:11).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (38:15).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-04-8 (PM) (28:38).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-26 (26:00).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-07-30 (1:16:05).
- Colloquio, 2018-10-20 (17:31).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-06-30 (1:18:55).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (14:45).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-11-30 (1:05:22).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (59:58).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-12-22 (1:15:01).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-24 (24:19).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (52:58).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-08-28 (1:14:54).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-24 (24:20).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-24 (32:07).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2019-07-26 (1:09:46).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-20 (18:47).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (36:38).
- Colloquio, 2020-03-27 (5:25).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-07-28 (22:36).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-20 (20:17).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-08 (20:41).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-07-18 (38:30).
- Colloquio, 2018-05-11 (24:18).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-07-30 (1:11:58).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-03-28 (48:31).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- Colloquio, 2018-05-11 (38:25).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (1:00:07).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-06-30 (1:08:02).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-06-30 (1:09:29).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-02-25 (1:12:27).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-05-27 (1:20:00).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-26 (51:37).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-17 (58:55).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-03-26 (1:15:57).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-01-28 (56:12).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-19 (51:11).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (13:14).
- Podcast, 2017-05-13 (25:55).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-29 (16:46).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-05-28 (1:53:04).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-09-30 (1:01:45).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-05-28 (1:04:29).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-05 (32:22).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-08-26 (1:20:17).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-05-29 (46:36).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-07-28 (20:56).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-05-29 (43:19).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-22 (40:41).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-02-25 (1:15:50).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2020-07-25 (1:59:09).
- Colloquio, 2020-07-19 (48:05).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2017-05-19 (50:45).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (23:30).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (1:19:27).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (1:19:59).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2022-09-30 (1:20:06).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2018-07-09 (30:35).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-10-29 (1:15:57).
- Colloquio, 2018-08-17 (36:29).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Colloquio, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Trasmissione in diretta, 2021-04-30 (41:18).