- Head start is a means to gradually ramp up the population to avoid player concurrency issues at launch.
- Head start will also be a way to address any last-minute launch or deployment issues.
The point of head start is twofold: One for testing, making sure that the live launch servers pre-wipe are good; and then Two, it's a way to stagger the population move into the game. Because if you have servers with 10,000 concurrent player capability and you have everyone logging in at the exact same time, that is a problem I've never seen an MMO tackle successfully, ever. – Steven Sharif
- During the head start, the node system will be deactivated.
- Head start specific servers are also planned.
- It will not be possible to secure player housing during the headstart period due to the deactivation of the node system.
Head start was not a mistake, I tend to listen to my development team with regards to their vast past experiences in mmo launches and development. Advice from engineering on head starts was they are extremely desired in order to test any last minute launch/deployment issues that “always” happen. So I did as much as possible to mitigate the potential p2w elements/issues while still adhering to sound development principles. Including designating which servers are head start servers. So wanna make sure we don’t “chop” this one as a mistake or misstep. Everything done is done to ensure a quality launch/product. – Steven Sharif