- The developers have discussed potentially adding mechanics to potted plants that yield unique items if the plant is properly maintained.
One of the big directives for the environment team- and I know Mia has been amazing in this regard- is each of the biomes really need to have a a fairly eclectic selection of plant life, of vegetation, of foliage. These help to create the atmosphere that you are really immersed in this different climate zone and that that's obviously something that we as players enjoy when we get to see a significant diversity of plant life, because it does lend itself to the immersive nature of the world. – Steven Sharif
- Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.
- Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.
- Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from. – Steven Sharif
- Resources won't be locked to the node system.
- Some unique resources may be monsters in disguise or have monsters defending them.
We want our players to have a reason to explore the wilderness, to travel with purpose, and much of that will be driven by our resource system. Transporting these goods might just be more difficult than gathering them. Our regional market system allows players to participate in creating pocket economies that will reinforce the stability of goods in particular regions.
We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- This will affect Farming and Animal husbandry professions.
- Since players may only have one Freehold, they must choose their Artisan specializations accordingly if they wish to place it in the Underrealm.
- Livestream, 2020-07-31 (1:39:00).
- Livestream, 2021-01-29 (56:58).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (44:22).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (43:01).
- Livestream, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- Livestream, 2017-05-08 (54:26).
- Livestream, 2020-07-31 (1:05:58).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (1:04:50).
- Livestream, 2019-12-17 (1:14:42).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (8:22).
- Livestream, 2017-06-01 (24:30).
- Video, 2017-05-25 (4:37).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (32:11).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (44:17).