- Although traditional roles are present, players should not feel branded by their primary archetype.
- Skill augments available through the class system allow characters to be personalized outside of their primary role.
- Players can also double down on their archetype choice to strengthen their primary role.
We have our eight base archetypes; and the trinity is a pretty strong influence with regards to the eight base classes. However the area in which we begin to play with that line between the trinity is in the secondary classes that you can pick. That's where be begin to blend those spaces and allow people a little bit of influence over their role and whether or not they fit perfectly within a particular category within the trinity. – Steven Sharif
- There are four primary groups of augments assigned to each base archetype. Balancing of augments relates to the four augment groups for each of the eight archetypes.
There will be match ups in 1v1s where one class will be superior to another; and that application should be a rock-paper-scissors dynamic. We want there to be counter-play between the different classes... Instead it's going to be a group focused balance, where as long as you have the diversity of classes present, that's going to be an equal level playing field. It's going to be very dependent on skill and strategy. – Steven Sharif
Certain archetypes are capable of moving the gap between their counterpart per-se. If I am a Tank archetype and a Mage is my counter, I can take a Mage secondary and kind of bridge the divide slightly; and then move my identity that direction ever so slightly. – Steven Sharif
- Augments to primary skills will fundamentally change the way the ability works - adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary class.
- Each secondary class offers a different school of augments. Each augment school affects a primary class' skills in different ways.
- Choosing the same primary and secondary archetype increases focus on that archetype.
- Each skill in the primary tree has a minimum of four augment choices from the secondary tree.
- Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills within their skill tree.
- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
- In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.
- Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village node or higher.
- Some spell colors and general FX change based on augments.
- Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.
Key for the augment system is that these augments are meant to demonstrate a core identity of the secondary class type you've chosen. So if from the eight archetypes whatever you choose as your secondary, you're going to receive a choice of augments that relate to some core ideal of that class. You know like a tank is about controlling the battlefield, is about surviving. The mage is about dealing damage and elements and ability in AoEs. The rogue is going to be about stealth and critical damage. So those augments are going to to play towards those identities. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind the system is that you're kind of skirting the line through these augmentations of your role, right. We have the traditional holy trinity that's present in class designs for MMOs and it's often that those either are not deviated at all or completely deviated from entirely. The augment is to kind of offer a balance between that where you still maintain the semblance of that trinity system while offering the opportunity to customize your play experience towards one of the other angles in the triangle. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse class kits
- Weapon skills sono applicate per aumentare le abilità di base di una classe.
- Le abilità della classe base possono essere selezionate da una serie di abilità disponibili per quella classe in base alla progressione di un giocatore durante quella stagione.
Abbiamo avuto un po' di idee che esploreremo per quanto riguarda ciascuna delle classi che hanno una vasta scelta di abilità che i giocatori possono personalizzare il loro kit di abilità in base alla loro progressione entro una stagione, diciamo; quella progressione può essere ottenuta da una qualsiasi modalità e ti darebbe la possibilità di personalizzare quel kit di abilità per la modalità prima dell'assedio o la modalità orda. Ma è qualcosa che potrebbe venire in un secondo momento. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse healing
- Healing skills are proximity based: Centered on self or centered on projectile impact.
- There will be healing potion bursts (healing grenades) that will grant life to allies.
- Healing is part of Class kits that come into play during the testing of Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges.
We have a few design theories on action combat and healing to began with phase one. Part of that will be the implementation of a class system into the castle siege and horde mode of phase one. Those will be kits that play out as skills available from an action perspective. You'll be able to target in proximity, basically so positioning is going to matter. Importantly, for healers being close to the individual party members you wish to heal. Additionally, you'll have reticle based healing methods. This would be a template that could be launched in that direction as a pulse of heels or augments. So there's a lot of different systems are playing with that you'll see more of when we get to those when we get to the castle siege system and the Ashes of Creation Apocalypse horde mode. – Steven Sharif
- Group dynamics blog.
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (46:04).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:40:16).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:40:17).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (35:11).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (59:28).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (1:01:01).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:25:32).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:09:22).
- Livestream, 17 December 2019 (1:13:14).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (41:56).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (19:05).
- Livestream, 16 November 2017 (30:02).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:45).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (53:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (1:00:44).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (22:27).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:33:11).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (41:20).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (11:38).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (8:16).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (58:40).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (19:40).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (12:05).
- Interview, 6 December 2018 (2:04).